Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Players Wanted for Labyrinth Lord Campaign

I apologize for the local business as I know my readership is international, but, as fellow gamers, I’m sure you’ll understand me using my soapbox to drum up some players for my proposed game.

With my Labyrinth Lord Society membership in hand, the time has come for me to get a game going. I play in a regular group but time and interest won’t allow me to run a regular game with those guys. And I really need a regular game to ref. I’ve got too many ideas and nobody to share them with. Plus, I might as well use some of this newfangled “Author of ‘The Dungeon Alphabet’" fame before it gets cold.

So, if you’re on Long Island and are looking for a B/X, “red box,” Labyrinth Lord game, and have either Sunday afternoons or Monday evenings free, drop me an email at poleandrope[at]gmail[dot]com. Below is the text from my FLGS flyer so you can see what I’m thinking.

Veteran referee seeks to start up a classic “sandbox style” campaign of Dungeons & Dragons using the Basic D&D rules (a.k.a. B/X, “Red Box,” or Labyrinth Lord). Players will create 1st level adventurers beginning their careers on the edge of the Eldritch Frontier, a vast expanse of wilderness teeming with dungeons, monsters, treasure, and magic. The Eldritch Frontier is an old school D&D hex and dungeon crawl, and the players will be free to choose their own paths to fame, power, and riches—provided they’re lucky and smart enough to survive!

The Eldritch Frontier will also turn back the clock on the history of D&D and present a “what if?” scenario of how the game might have developed if left solely in the hands of gamers. Although Basic D&D will be used as the rule set for the campaign, further material will be taken from periodicals and supplements dating from the early years of the hobby, as well as new additions created by the players and referee through actual play. Because of this, The Eldritch Frontier is best suited for those with open minds and laid-back attitudes. Rule lawyer-types might find themselves frustrated, but creative players will have the opportunity make an indelible mark on the campaign world and the referee’s house rules.

Game sessions will be held at Brothers Grim on either a weekday evening or Sunday afternoons depending on player availability. Regular sessions of The Eldritch Frontier will start once three or more players have committed, with an eye on adding additional players as interest grows.
I figure if I can get three, I can get four, and we’ll grow from there.

10 comments:

Aaron E. Steele said...

Labyrinth Lord / Red Box is going viral!

Will 2010 be the year of the red box campaign?

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I want to join this so badly, but I don't think I can. I work weeknights and have my son on the weekends. Saturday and Sundays are pretty much the only time I get to see my girlfriend, also. If this is on a Sunday would it be a weekly thing or a bi-weekly thing and what times are we looking at? Brothers Grimm is only about 15 minutes from my house (I bought Stonehell there), so I'm looking for a way to make this happen.

Victor Raymond said...

Great stuff - that's essentially what I am doing on Tuesday nights at my local FLGS. I think you'll have a blast.

Daddy Grognard said...

Damn! I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic again!

David The Archmage said...

I think a 6+ hour long drive is probably a bit far to go for a weekly campaign. Damn.

Vanadorn said...

I would love to play Mike - but I don't have the time which royally sucks. Royally. You know my situation and I can't carve out another day to play. :(

Please keep me posted though!

Mike

Anonymous said...

You know, since I haven't DMed in a couple decades I often wonder what I'd put on a flier at the FLGS instead of "veteran referee".

Hamlet said...

Rats. Wrong side of the river. NJ is a bit of a drive for Long Island.

Tenkar said...

selden? ouch... monday nites are gonna be a hella commute from queens, and I can't do better then every other sunday either

Fandomaniac said...

I know weekdays are hard for some people. Mike has scheduled a meetup for this Sunday 2/21 at Brother Grim. I'll be there and hope some of you can attend. http://www.meetup.com/TRPGHS/