Sunday, March 21, 2010

Just Roll the Dice

Boy howdy, can I pick a good time to take a break from the blogosphere and the intertubes or what? Maybe I'm not the only person who needs to walk away from the computer and concern themselves with other things for awhile, neh?

So what are you doing for International Traditional Gaming Week? I'm breaking my online fast for a brief minute to tell you what I did before I return to my Fortress of Solitude. I spent four hours playing Labyrinth Lord today with five players and ten PCs. We then got the opportunity to teach a kid and his father about retroclones and give them the links to some of the free PDFs available online. Now said kid wants to come play with us next Sunday. All of this while clutching his soon-to-be-forgotten copy of the 3.5 Players Handbook in his hand. Not a bad way to "put butts in chairs," which is really what this whole week is supposed to be about, correct?

At the risk of embarrassing one of my players, who'll remain nameless because I didn't ask permission for what I'm about to do, wouldn't you rather be hanging around with these guys than getting riled up online?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean like actually PLAYING the frigging game?? Where's the fun in that? :P

Anonymous said...

kewl portraits btw

Daddy Grognard said...

New recruit, Michael - congratulations!

Lord Kilgore said...

If I could draw even half as well as that, I'd not have left EVERY portrait section of EVERY character sheet EVER blank for the past three decades.

Nothing beats playing face to face. Not even getting all riled up on the interwebs.

Word Verification: "quest"
I can't think of anything this could possibly mean...

Michael Curtis said...

If I could draw even half as well as that, I'd not have left EVERY portrait section of EVERY character sheet EVER blank for the past three decades.

I quite agree. I posted the pictures not in jest but because I think they're amazingly cool. Despite that fact that this was that player's first game, I already have a better grasp of his characters than most of the other ones in the group simply because of these two sketches.

I think I'm going to make it a point to doodle my own pictures on future character sheets. No matter how good or bad a drawing, its still better than a blank oval staring up at you.

Eldrad Wolfsbane said...

The Watchfires and Thrones setting is awesome!
If any of you did not click on the link above do so or really miss out!
Tell those guys to keep on posting! Really good stuff!

Blair said...

I absolutely love character portraits like the above examples!

So DIY/Punk!