Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Paper Mayhem

On a lark, I picked up one of the 3D paper terrain packs put out by Fat Dragon Games. I now find myself folding cardstock when I'm looking to downshift my brain after a long day. Even though I lack the deft skills that the origami geniuses over at Fat Dragon have, the results I produce aren't half bad.

I'm very pleased with the set, much more so than I expected myself to be. The detail on the pieces is very good, the results are lightweight but sturdy, and, should they ever be destroyed in play, are easy to reproduce at little cost. While I'm doubtful that I'll use them in the upcoming game only because it takes place away from my home and would require transport, I find myself toying with the idea of making a set piece or two that is filled with various traps and other challenges and making the players navigate the chamber with miniatures.

Here's a small diorama using some of the pieces I've made so far. Our two adventurers have just met a lurking trapper down in the depths of the dungeon.



4 comments:

trollsmyth said...

Ooo! That does look very nice. I'm impressed. If I played much face-to-face, I'd be sorely tempted.

As it is, I'm just tempted. ;)

So do they come as .pdf files that you print out? Or pre-printed on card stock that you can photocopy?

Michael Curtis said...

They're PDF files, which is the primary reason I'm liking them so much. I can just run off as many as I need for just the cost of ink and cardstock.

trollsmyth said...

Ok, about the cardstock, what weight do you use? I've got an ink-jet printer that drags the paper through a u-shaped bend between picking the paper up and printing on it. Would the cardstock survive that, or would it come through warped?

Michael Curtis said...

I use 110 lb. cardstock, which is the recommended weight. I picked up 250 sheets of the stuff once upon a time and it works perfectly for the fold-ups. It's the most common-type so no special purchase was required.

I've got a similar type of ink ject printer, with the paper tray underneath so that the paper does a 180 degree turn around a roller before it prints out. I've had no issues so far. The cardstock comes out a little off-plumb at first, but it quickly returns to shape. I haven't even had to stick a sheet under a book to flatten it out.